Thursday, May 31, 2007

Thoughts from the Scorekeeper


I'm torn regarding statistics and courtesy runners. In the past I have always credited the runner with runs scored, stolen bases and caught stealings.


The more I think about it, though, the more I don't like it.


I am considering crediting stolen bases and caught stealings to the courtesy runner and crediting runs scored to the batter whom was run for.


This brings up another question....should a courtesy runner be credited with a game played? If a player does nothing but acts as a courtesy runner, they never officially entered the game. In this case, they most definitely not credited with an inning played (much like a DH).


What do you all think?

2 comments:

Heartattack 19 said...

Did you know that if a player in Major League Baseball only appears in the game as a pinch runner he is not given credit for a game played? Alfredo Griffin had a consecutive games streak broken when he came into the game in the bottom of the ninth inning as a pinch runner and scored the winning run. Since he did not bat or play the field, it did not count as an appearence in the game!

Ranger63 said...

I did not know that. That seems to tell me that a courtesy running only day would not constitute a game played.